You know the benefits of clean eating are mind blowing, said one of my friends when I was discussing a health concern of mine .
Now what is that, I hardly have time to cook for myself and often search for go to options and now this new concept. Also how can being on a specific diet help you was my question (as i had tried on dieting earlier in my life).
This was me a few years back when one of my friends was casually talking about the amazing benefits of clean eating which include glowing skin, improved digestion, healthy muscles, balanced weight, strong immunity and many more .
Had I known the amazing benefits of clean eating, I would not have procrastinated for so long. So one day I just pulled myself up and started digging deep into this topic, to my amazement to reap the amazing benefits of clean eating. All one needs to do is be conscious and aware of what one puts in the mouth. Ever since i have been eating clean and can see how it has transformed my life .
What is clean eating and the benefits of clean eating
There is no specific rule or guideline to clean eating in general, it just means going back to basics. Clean eating simply means making small conscious changes to your diet that eventually becomes a habit. Once you start seeing the benefits of clean eating, this habit effortlessly becomes a part of your lifestyle. There is no specific rule or guideline to clean eating in general
Clean eating is basically choosing food options that are the closest to their natural form.
If one keeps this in mind and opts for fresh and whole foods there is no way one can miss out on the benefits of clean eating .
- Healthy skin , eyes and teeth
- Stronger muscles
- Your immunity is boosted
- Stronger bones
- The risk of diabetes is lowered
- Improved gut health
- Supports Brain development and improves mental health
- Also helps in maintaining a healthy weight, as you are making sure you eat in specific portions and eat a balanced meal
- And a longer and a healthy life
Now comes the How- How to start eating clean?
If you are wondering how can i start eating clean? I will have to throw away all my grocery and start a fresh.
The answer is no.
You do not have to dump away all that is stored in your kitchen cabinet, to reap the amazing benefits of clean eating. all you need to do is
- Be conscious of your water intake
- Setting up small goals like one fruit every morning
- Making it a point to include some salad in all your meals
- Reading labels on the packed foods
- Making a grocery list that has more whole food options
- Taking a pause before putting anything in your mouth
- Carrying a fruit or some nuts with yourself always
- Keeping a check on your journey and gradually adding more options to your stater list
- making healthy and conscious swaps in your daily habits
The basic clean eating list includes
Here is a simple basic clean eating list that is super easy to follow and there is nothing to remember as such, all you need to do is be conscious of your food habits and bring in the necessary changes .
- Adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet is one of the easiest options.Fruits and vegetables are packed with nutrients , loaded with minerals, vitamins and fibers . This improves digestion , which further has health benefits on your skin as fruits and vegetables are filled with antioxidants .
- Avoiding processed foods and cutting down on refined carbs , as they are filled with trans fats, salts and preservatives. Processed food lacks nutrients and are just taste appealing.
- Including Brown rice, whole grains and cutting down on white bread and refined flour.
- Conscious cutting down on oils and spreads used for cooking which also means less of fried foods.
- Adding more nuts to your diet as a snacking option.
- Cutting down on caffeine intake and including infused water and fresh coconut water or lemon water.
- Reducing refined sugar and choosing jaggrey or honey or other healthy options like maple sugar or cane sugar
All in all to see the benefits of clean eating one needs to avoid
- Packaged food
- Refined Sugar
- Processed meat
- Cutting out sugary drinks
- Frozen food
- Easy to go snacks
- Start paying attention to the food labels and not fall into the trap of fad diet food.
The benefits of drinking water include.
The most important thing to keep in mind if one needs to see the benefits of clean eating is drinking water. As we are aware that 70% of the body is made of water so it is an important part of eating clean and maintaining a healthy lifestyle . Some of the amazing benefits of drinking water are-
- Water helps to regulate the body temperature
- Flushes out harmful toxins
- Helps to lose weight
- Keeps the skin clear
- Helps in maintaining bowel function
- Good for the kidneys
- Healthy brain function
Some quick and easy clean eating recipes
Here are a few clean eating recipes for you to try on.
- Summer salad To make this summer salad all you need is cucumber, carrot , lemon and peanuts and cottage cheese. Just chop some cucumber and some carrots, to this add some lemon, a pinch of black pepper and top it with roasted peanuts and some cottage cheese.
- Breakfast smoothie– a quick breakfast smoothie on the go
All you need is a banana, two to three dates, a handful of peanuts, water or plant based milk. Just take all the ingredients and blend it together to make a smoothie.
- Poha – a mouth-watering Indian recipe made of flattened rice
Things needed – flattened rice, onion, chilies, salt, turmeric, mustard seeds and some peanuts and lemon. It just takes 5-7 minutes to make this delicious healthy Indian recipe
Take some oil in a pan, add chopped chilies and mustard seeds then add chopped onion and salt , pepper and turmeric. Saute it well to this, add poha ( washed under running water) and mix everything well . Cover it for two minutes and turn off the flame. Now add some lemon and mix it well. top it up with some finely chopped coriender and your poha is ready.
There are a plenty of basic recipes out there which are easy to make and are healthy alternatives to fast food.
Clean eating tips for beginners
If you are new to this clean eating concept or are someone who has done it before and have always fallen back to your old ways then, as a beginner here are small tips that can be followed if you want to reap the benefits of clean eating down the line.
- Keeping it in mind that it is a journey and the benefits can’t be seen overnight.
- Eating well balanced meal
- Eating whole foods
- Limit added sugar, salt and fat
- Making it a habit to carry your water bottle and any fruit along with you
- Saying no to processed food like chips and burgers and fries and choosing other alternatives
- Making sure to eat more fruits and vegetables with your meals
- Keeping a check on your alcohol intake
- Avoid smoking
- Trying to plan your meals in advance
- Opting for locally available foods
- Remember consistency is the key
- Be patient with yourself and try not to go over the board with including everything in one go
Just making sure to pick one option and sticking to till it becomes natural , if this is followed you will never miss out on the benefits that clean eating gives.
Also remember clean eating does not have a specific set of rules or definition it just means sticking to whole or natural foods. The whole concept is simple and straightforward . If you find yourself going off track just remember to take it slow and one step at a time . Picking up one small habit even if it is eating a fruit everyday is going to add up to your journey and down the line when you see the benefits of clean eating you will thank yourself .
Do let me know how your journey is going on and if you are one of those who have opted for a healthy lifestyle and are eating clean, also what are the benefits of clean eating you have seen in yourself. How has this habit transformed you and your health? In case there are some other tips and tricks that have worked for you it would be great to know.